Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:33:00 -0700
From:      Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd@mutex.org>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@home.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High syscall overhead?

On 11 Jun 1999 23:15:15 PDT, Arun Sharma writes:
>Can someone explain to me why is SYSCALL_LOCK necessary ? It certainly
>seems to hurt system call performance on a MP machine.
>
>Also, is there any data on lock contention in FreeBSD ? Is anyone
>working on decomposing some of the giant locks ?

I have a follow-on question: is there any planned work to give FreeBSD some
of the basic synch primitives? I would love to help finer-grain the kernel,
(having just today built my first SMP FreeBSD system), but first I think
I'd need to implement mutexes and condition variables. It looks like there
may be spin/sleeplocks and rwlocks, but they're not called that.

Is there any work being done in this area? I think implementing the SVR4
synch primitives (mutex, condvars, maybe semas, rwlocks) would be great,
since that's what's taught, and they're intuitive. I'm still trying to
figure out the deal with "lockmgr".

--
Aaron Smith						VERITAS Software
File System Engineer				"I'll call him mini me".