Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/35119: make(1) variable modifier bug (:L, :U etc)

The following reply was made to PR bin/35119; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:33:41 -0800

 On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:50:02PM -0800, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
 >  On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:47:38 +0100 (CET) stijn@win.tue.nl wrote:
 >
 >  > make(1) has a buglet wrt expanding variables with modifiers. If an
 >  > expansion of an undefined variable, with a modifier, is used in an .if
 >  > statement like so:
 >  >
 >  > .if defined(FOO) && ${FOO:L} == "bar"
 >  >
 >  > make bombs out with a 'Malformed conditional', even if FOO is not
 >  > defined.
 >
 >  i believe this is already known. make processes all statements on an .if line, no matter if this is needed or not (unlike most other languages):

 The problem is that this behavior contradicts the documented
 behavior. make(1) says,

      As in C, make will only evaluate a conditional as far as is necessary to
      determine its value.

 But as you say, this is known behavior, PR bin/34032. A patch is
 included in that PR's audit trail. Would the submitter please check if
 that patch solve's his problems? I'm looking to commit that
 soon, but not 100% sure the logic is totally sound. Another successful
 test would help. Thanks.

 I will close up this PR as a duplicate.