Date:      Wed, 17 May 2006 10:39:56 +0200
From:      Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading the gdb? ETA?

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:51:00PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >The system gdb is still at 6.1.1 and the ports are even further behind.
> >
> >Are there any plans for an upgrade? In particular, the current gdb's
> >output of SSE2 registers leaves much to be desired -- a problem fixed in
> >6.3.
> >
> >gdb-6.4 was released in December... Thanks!
> >
> >	-mi
>
> Someone needs to step forward and do the work.  It's a tremendous amount
> of work, btw.  I'm very, very unhappy with the loss of functionality
> that we suffered at the hands of GDB6.  The whole FSF development model
> of GDB seems like a complete trainwreck, and I certainly don't blame the
> people who last tried to hammer GDB into FreeBSD.

even worse is that we lost capability to attach to running process:

(gdb) attach 24745
Attaching to process 24745
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb/libgdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/solib-svr4.c:1443:
internal-error: legacy_fetch_link_map_offsets called without legacy link_map
support enabled.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n)