Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 00:49:13 -0500
From:      Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

I've got getcontext, setcontext, makecontext, and swapcontext
implemented and would like to add them to libc.  I've made the
patch available at:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/ucontext/uc-libc-sys.diffs

These are library level versions of these functions.  Solaris
has getcontext and setcontext as system calls.  My intent is
to replace libc_r's use of setjmp/longjmp and jmp_buf munging
with these functions, so I don't want them as system calls.
I also want to use them with the KSE-enabled threads library.
Is there a reason that getcontext and setcontext need to be
system calls?

For those not familiar with these functions, see:

  http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/ucontext.h.html

--
Dan Eischen