Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:50:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@plutotech.com>
To:        yurtesen@ispro.net.tr, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD led stops working after FreeBSD...?

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9903292211090.22762-100000@localhost> you write:
>hello,
>I have installed freebsd on a pII-350 which is on intel
>T440BX board the board has on board ultra wide scsi adapter
>53c875 on itself
>after freebsd detects it, the hard drive led stops working
>even if I write and read from the disk, it does not blink
>what can the problem may be?

NCR53c8xx implementations using the Symbios firmware have the LED wired
to a general purpose I/O line and control it in software.  Since other
vendors use their own firmware, they're free to use the line for other
purposes - like rewriting the firmware.

Since the driver doesn't know whose board its controlling, it can't
safely control the LED in software

You can define SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT when compiling the driver
(add option SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT to your config file, and include
SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT opt_ncr.h in conf/options) to get the
behavior you desire.

Or you can Do The Right Thing, and for all chips with ROMs map in the
ROM and scan for some magic value (like the other "32 bit" ROM
interfaces, Symbios probably has some sort of structure with a
magic number identifying an entry point).  Where this is present,
patch the chip code to twiddle the GPIO bits.  Where it isn't, assume
the worst and follow the no #define behavior.

A final option would be to throw a buffer on the SCSI BSY line, throw
a suitable resistor on the output to limit current, and drive your
LED off that.  That will give you working blinken lights with the
FreeBSD driver, the FreeBSD driver ported to Linux (I believe they
now have a kernel command line option for this), and my old Linux
driver.....