Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 1997 15:32:16 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu (David S. Miller), michaelh@cet.co.jp, netdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx, roque@di.fc.ul.pt, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org, smpdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject:   Re: SMP

Hi,

---
> Well, Sun generally does things right.  I was more concerned with
> a number of Intel motherboards where we are seeing APIC_IO problems.
> They seem to fail this case.

i missed something here, could you clarify exactly what "this case"
means as reguards "seeing APIC_IO problems"?

---
> I don't know what lists you follow, but just in the past two days,
> the has been a person on the FreeBSD SMP list running a motherboard
> with "improved cache handling" that seems to be barfing on something
> like this when APIC_IO is used... 8-(.

 "improved cache handling" refers to a cache module that actually works,
ie tyan first shipped boards with a defective design, the fix for which
was a new, redesigned module.  It is my belief that several people are
running tyan tomcat IIs with the APIC_IO option enabled.  could
users confirm this for us?

I have a theory about why this particular board is unhappy, but I need
further tests run before I can verify anything.  But I don't think it
has anything to do with interaction of the APIC and cache coherency.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD