Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:09:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dg@Root.COM, bde@zeta.org.au, proff@suburbia.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thread stacks and protections (was Re: attribute/inode caching)

> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > Personally, I'd like to use page anonymity based protections to establish
> > Chorus-like access priveledge domains for IPC; specifically, for stacks
> > capable of being grown by fault for use by threads.  I think the POSIX
> > model is broken: I should not be required to preallocate stack for a
> > thread just because SVR4 and Solaris have bogus architectures (actually,
> > the SVR4 VM does *not* impose this limitation: it is a limitation of
> > the threading code alone.  Steve Baumel, the author of the SVR4 VM, and
> > I discussed this at some length when discussing context sharing models
> > that would be useful for the NetWare for UNIX product).
> >

> How does one implement a u-area concept on top of Chorus?  A lot of stuff
> that used to be in the u-area has been moved out to the proc and other
> structures in 4.4BSD.  Maybe moving the kernel stack out of the u-area and
> generalizing the proc and u-cred stuff can be a step toward what your
> talking about.

Additionally, we can move the kernel stack very quickly if needed (but it
will always take more memory and kva space.)  It is even possible to support
a dynamic kernel stack.  We have been putting together
the infrastructure in vm_glue and in pmap to support this for the last 6mos.
Setting up the context to support multiple stacks in a process is even
simpler (if we need it), all we need to do is to define "what is a stack and
where it is", and I can change it in a few hours -- no problem.  Don't let
what we have stop you from thinking of implementing new things like this
-- our VM stuff is basically very flexible.

I would like to think that changes like the above are well thought out before
we do them though. :-).

John