Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:52:00 -0400 (AST)
From:      "J.M. Chuang"  <smp@bluenose.na.tuns.ca>
To:        Tor.Egge@idt.ntnu.no (Tor Egge)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good News & Bad News

> > > Just a thought, but how many of the machines besides the Tyan Titan
> > > Pro have the BSP at other than CPU #0?  The Titan Pro's BSD is
> > > (physically) Processor #1.  This is just the most obvious difference
> > > between the Titan Pro and the other boards.
> >
> > from the mptab;e database:
> >
> >  Asus P/I-P65UP5
> >  Supermicro P6DNE
> >
> > does anyone running these machines have experience with the recent SMP kernel?
>
> I tried a few hours old kernel on an ASUS P/I-P65UP5, with APIC_IO
> enabled. When compiling a new kernel with two active CPUs, I got
> error messages from gcc, and the compile failed. Restarting the
> $2 = 0xfff7eff4
>
> This indicates an attempt to dereference address 0xfff7eff4, which seems
> bogus :-(
>
> - Tor Egge

I turn on DDB, here is the report from DDB when system reboots shortly after
the second CPU is launched:

cpunumber =0
fault virtual address = 0xfffbeff4
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xf01be11b
stack  pointer	      = 0x8:0xefbffe94
frame pointer	      = 0x10:0xefbffeb0
code segment	      = base 0x0, limit 0xffff, type0x1b
 		      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process       = 270 (sh)
interrupt mask        =
kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
stopped at _pmap_enter+0x8f:   movl   0 (%ecx), %ecx
db> trace
_pmap_enter (f0cbc464,efbfd000,da5000,7,0) at _pmap_enter+0x8ff
vm_fault(f0cbc400,efbfd000,3,0,0) at _vm_fault+0xd0b
trap_pfault(efbfffbc,1) at _trap_pfault+0xd4
_trap(27,27,56000,509ec,efbfdb34) at _trap+0x146
calltrap() at calltrap+0x1a
- trap 12, eip=0xb0f0, ebp=0xefbfdb34 ---
- curporc=0xf0be3c00, pie=270 ---

Jim