Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:09:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kline@thought.org
Cc:        remy@synx.com, Florian_Uhl@3com.com
Subject:   more DE and FR LANG internationalization volunteers sought

  Hello, world,

  So far the internationalization project is off to a good start.
  We've got people in the DE, ES, and FR locales (at a minimum)
  working on translating the utility message files.

  Since there are more than 200 bin, usr.bin, sbin, and usr.sbin
  utilities, the more people, the better.

  I'm taking care of the guts of the i18n stuff.  This includes
  modifying the Makefiles, creating the nls/ tree with its message
  files, and modifying the *.c files so that the messages can
  work correctly.  By hand, I've demonstrated three of the utilities
  so far.  Automation tools and help from a number in the
  international community have proven another 8 or 10.  To date
  20-some utilitites are ready to go.

  By year-end I'd like to have approximately 100 done and alpha-tested.
  This means having more people who are interested in the project
  join us.

  I'm aiming the completed task to be acceptable to the entire BSD
  community, Free, Net, and OpenBSD...and beyond that, for anyone
  else in the open-source effort.

  Interested?  Write me at

    kline@thought.org

  where I'm doing the majority of the work.

  thanks,

  gary kline