Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:08:02 GMT
From:      "Javier Frias" <javier@nyi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Central Source Updates

I'm wondering what everyone here is doing to do centralized source updates
on their server farms. Right now we've been doing it manually on each
server, but
now we are trying to come up with procedures to try to centralized the
situation a bit.

I've come up with two basical startegies.
One central and one localized.

1) Central
Having one source repository server
and one compile/build server.

the source repository would be just a basic freebsd mirror.

The build server would be a machine that would keep different versions of
FreeBSD
in both source and binary form, compiled witht he optimazations to our
liking

ie
/disk01/FreeBSD4-STABLE/00010120/src
/disk01/FreeBSD4-STABLE/00010120/obj

these directories woud be nfs exportable read-only.
so when a machine wants to update it's system would mount thses dir's over
their /usr and /usr/obj
and do a make install.

PROS: quick
CONS: donot get to test machines, i like make world since they are usually
good
at detecting  hardware issues ( memory disk  etc )

2) Localized
Having one source repository server

the source repository would be just a basic freebsd mirror.

machines would use cvs to update to a specify version date combination.
and build locally

Packages would mostly not be an issue, since we are pushing all developers
make custom freebsd packages for all the software we use, and we'll test
each on the
specific OS combinations.

SO, does anyone have any comments or pointers on how to better these
solutions
or which is better to use.

any pointers to articles, documents etc?
( besides the handbook section on updating :-P )