Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2012 17:23:57 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating mksh, portmaster -a, pkg_version strangeness

Jakub Lach <jakub_lach <at> mailplus.pl> writes:

> and how it worked before? mksh had letters
> added in version from start.

Actually, mksh always had an uppercase R plus a number, because I
originally did not want to make minor versions or other versioning
games. (The very first versions had 1.xx where xx was that number,
and 1.xx was the version number of the main.c,v RCS file. Hence,
R20 was the first one with the current versioning.) At some point,
I needed to make a small fix follow-up release. In MirBSD, we were
already using the -bis, -ter, -quater, -quinquiēs sufficēs by then,
so I decided to add a ‘b’, where the first release had an implicit
‘a’ appended.

The website has a recommendation for packagers that need to map
these versions to numbers: R22 maps to 22.1, R22x maps to 22.y
for x=[bcdefgh] → y=[2345678], and there will never be an R22i
or up, so 22.9.yyyymmdd can be used for -current.

HTH & HAND,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of