Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 03:04:58 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Replacing gcc as the system compiler (was Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning)

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 02:34:36AM +0200, Robert Nordier wrote:
> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > Have you looked closely at XANDF?  I'm seeing two real hurdles (beyond
> > inertia) in using this as our main compiler: The use of asm() for some
> > macros in the kernel, and the use of linker sets.  What do you think
> > our chance of working around these are?
>
> I think we can find reasonable ways over the technical hurdles.
> Possibly, though, we need to commit to supporting TenDRA as a secondary
> compiler initially, with a change 6-12 months down the line, if things
> work out.

We have to support it for a while before switching, at least.  The
first step is getting the entire tree to build.

> >From a few tests here, it is starting to look as though the trans386
> optimization needs additional work.  I know that some of the code I
> haved looked at was highly-optimized, so the slow times may be fairly
> readily correctable.

What kind of optimizations are you missing?  I think there might be
additional ANDF->ANDF optimizations we might be able to grab hold of
from the old OSF projects; they're marked as 'freely available'.

If what you're missing is high-level optimizations, this might be a
good way to go.

Eivind.