Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 20:15:12 -0500
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley231.res.iastate.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   URGENT: NIC/MB advice needed for cluster...

We are about to purchase 64 dual ppro200's for a large cluster
that we are creating, and I needed some advice/information.  Depending
on how things work out, I may end up managing about 90 linux boxes. :(

The reason that we are leaning toward linux currently is essentially
due to its somewhat better support of the de21140 cards.  Essentially,
if we can get better functionality/benchmarks out of FreeBSD, we will
likely go with that.  We must get this money spent by July 20 or so,
so we dont really have much more time to order/test MB/NIC combinations.

So, what I was wondering...

1. How well does the Etherexpress PRO/100 work currently?  Does this card
   work well in full duplex mode, and would I be able to have 4 of them per
   box without any trouble?

2. We are thinking of buying ASUS P65UP5, or Intel PR440FX boards.  I know
   ASUS makes great boards, but we could save a lot of money with the Intel.
   Does anyone know if the onboard ethernet works?  We would save on Enet
   cards, and memory (ECC DIMM's seem much cheaper..), but is it wise?

   Another thing we are concerned with is the DMA.  Apparently the DMA on
   the SuperMicro board we got seems to be doing page forwarding on the
   PCI bus or something. (I don't really know someone else speculated it..
   We really need the best of performance though--so would we be well off
   with the with either of the above boards?

3. When will the new de driver come to FreeBSD?  This would help with our
   currently installed base.

I appologize for the length, but I really really dont like linux much.  I
would appreciate any info anyone could give me..

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Csanady                                    System Administrator
Scalable Computing Laboratory                ccsanady@scl.ameslab.gov