Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:36:35 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome2 Forks

In message <CADLFttfc-bvvs+vESX+j75Py--ioJh1esAk33i0vJ6E5+da5vg=40mail.gm=
ail.c
om>
, Jeremy Messenger writes:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus=40freebsd.or=
g> wrote
> :
> > On 4/16/12 5:15 PM, Cy Schubert wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Given the state of Gnome3 and the general dislike for the new shell =
and
> >> given that gnome-panel has been deprecated by our upline, would we b=
e open
> >> to importing one of the Gnome2 forks, like Mate or Cinnamon, into ou=
r tree
> ?
>=20
> I would like to change our GNOME 2 to MATE, so that way we can put
> GNOME 3 into ports tree quicker. Because there is nothing conflict to
> GNOME 3. Also much less complicate to not add too many CONFLICTS all
> over. Other day ago, it drove me crazy when I can't install some of
> foo because I have GNOME 3 installed.

Maybe we could do something like kde4? Put it into a subtree of =24LOCALB=
ASE?=20
We never know, maybe MATE will have more staying power. Being that Cinnam=
on=20
is a MINT project, should MINT no longer be in vogue any more one has to =

wonder whether Cinnamon can stand the test of time. I believe MATE is its=
=20
own project so even though Cinnamon has more interest at the moment MATE =

may have more potential. It's really hard to tell right now.

>=20
> But.... There is a problem. Is MATE reliable? I don't know if it's
> going to be last forever while GNOME 2 will be in GNOME ftp for very
> long time.

That's what I thought.

>=20
> >> allowing it to coexist with Gnome3. However Cinnamon builds upon Gno=
me3
> >> offering a Gnome2 interface. The article goes on to say that Cinnamo=
n has=20
> >> lot more momentum than Mate. (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=
=3Dnews_i
> te
> >> m&px=3DMTA4ODI).
> >>
> >> Should we choose an option, my choice would be the most sustainable =
one
> >> (Cinnamon), count me in as a volunteer. Talking about sustainability=
, one
> >> never knows which Open Source projects will establish themselves ove=
r the
> >> long haul. It may even be a good idea to watch both and decide where=
> >> invest our effort when the choice becomes more clear.
> >>
> >> Thoughts anyone?
> >>

> > I think that's the idea. =A0I believe Mezz has been working on Cinnam=
on,
> > and has had some good success.
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/=7Emezz/freebsd-cinnamon.png  :-)
>=20
> Cinnamon has awful a lot of hardcore paths and I had to patch it a
> lot. It's not exactly stable. When I visit to some specific website
> and it will causing Cinnamon crash for some odd reason. Some of
> applets are missing that I haven't check on it yet. Probably yet
> another path patch or something else.

Yeah..... <sigh>

>=20
> This weekend, I will try to clean up quick and put two ports in MC for
> anyone can play with Cinnamon.

I'll try to pick them up and dump them onto my laptop. ZFS makes it easy =
to=20
switch =24LOCALBASE through a simple reboot.

>=20
> BTW: You will need nvidia-driver for it both gnome-shell and Cinnamon.
> Without it, you will be in the fallback mode instead of
> gnome-shell/Cinnamon.

My server system next to the furnace downstairs has a nvidia card while m=
y=20
testbed has a VIA video controller on the motherboard. My old Acer laptop=
=20
which I use for day-to-day work and the only machine I run X on (I may VN=
C=20
to the others though) has an I915 mobile chipset. The other bits, includi=
ng=20
the panel would still work on it though.

I'll try to fetch a copy from MC this weekend. If I have any trouble I'll=
=20
give you a shout.

--=20
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert=40komquats.com>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy=40FreeBSD.org>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org