Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:17:39 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Timmons <cwt@networks.cwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>
Subject:   Re: aac tool regressions on 7.0-RC1

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:16:17AM -0700, Chris Timmons wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Your work-around works on 7-stable as of this morning.

Excellent!  I've actually committed a better fix to HEAD now (aac.c
revision 1.137).  The diffs[1] should apply cleanly to RELENG_7 and
RELENG_6 I believe, and I plan to MFC them in a week or so.  If you have
time to try it out on 7 before then I'd like to find out if it solves
the problem (properly) for you.

> I have quite a few 2200S equipped systems that I am transitioning from 6.X
> to 7-stable and aaccli is necessary to be able to insert/remove drives and
> initialize them into storage arrays.
>
> sysutils/arcconf says it needs aacraid-drivers from Adaptec's website to
> be fully functional; I don't see any FreeBSD drivers at Adaptec for the
> 2200S (perhaps they are available for a newer product but will work for
> this older adapter?)

I think that note is obsolete; it was true but shouldn't be the case
any longer after my recent set of aac changes to bring the CVS driver
in line with Adaptec's.  We use arcconf at work for building arrays,
monitoring the controller, etc. on 22xx class cards as well as newer
SAS/SATA cards like the 3805.  Please give aaccli a try with the driver
in 7-stable and let me know if you find any functionality that doesn't
work.  (6-stable doesn't have all of the changes yet, so I don't think
it'll work there right now.)

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/aac/aac.c.diff?r1=1.136;r2=1.137

-Ed