Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:12:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU, multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel's Smart Video Recorder III

> For starters, there is no video driver for it as for Pentium Pro
> compatibility you simply will have to wait till I finish writing
> the driver.

It would be a good idea, if the hardware permits, to keep (a subset)
the same ioctls of the meteor, so that one can reuse the same
software. I find annoying that there isn't a standard set of ioctls for
video acquisition boards. Maybe those in the meteor driver are not
better than others, but they are relatively flexible, and the
meteor/omnimedia are the only boards which are well supported under
FreeBSD, so it might be wise to settle on that as a standard.

> capture chipset very similar to the Matrox Meteor however its
> dma capability is far superior to the Meteor because the
> Intel card's dma controller accepts "risc instructions" that is
> the dma controller is programmable.

can this be used to do some preprocessing of the data or it is just a
flexible dma ?

	Luigi