Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:56:25 +0100
From:      "Helge Hafting" <helge.hafting@daldata.no>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Micropolis 3387NS and Tagged Queueing

In <Pine.LNX.4.02.9808240050030.2330-100000@osiris.ml.org>, on 08/24/98
   at 12:51 AM, Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.ml.org> said:

>Does anyone know the maximum safe queue depth for this drive and my
>aic7xxx controller?
The source use a default depth of 8, because "any device can handle that."
The documentation also state that there's no need for more than 32.   I
will try 32 for all devices when this start working.  The kernel will
reduce queue size after a while and give a message if it isn't used.  This
can then be specified as the new maximum.
I believe the max queue for the aic7xxx driver is 256, which ought to be
enough.  I don't know what happens if the device doesn't support the queue
length, there will probably be some kind of failure.  Should be easy
enough to find the limit by experimentation - if there's an useable error
message.

>It looks like tagged queueing is currently disabled. Any idea what the
>performance penalty is for this?

With queuing:  Several commands are sent to the device.  It will process
the next command as soon as the previous complete.  Some devices will even
overlap stuff - i.e. start reading the next requested block into buffer
memory *while* the previous requested block is being transmitted to the
host adapter.

This does not happen without queuing.  A device will complete the current
command, and then wait for the next one before anything more happen.  The
wait will probably be a short one, as the driver should send the next
request pretty fast. It may hovewer be busy communicating with some other
device.  Also, you don't get the benefits of overlapping requests on
advanced devices.

I think the advantage of tagged queuing is biggest when there's lots of
heavy i/o going on, involving several devices.  Such as access to several
drives in a raid system.  Accessing fragmented files should speed up too.

Helge Hafting