Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:01:28 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        hook@aktrad.ru, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List maintanence question.

At 08:54 PM 9/30/99 -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>Well, cut the guy some slack.  In some worlds, users don't control
>their desktop.  They are required to use the "officially sanctioned"
>tools, and things like Microsoft SMS are used to inforce the rule.
>Installation of unapproved software is grounds for termination.

Wasn't being harsh with him, only his MUA and Bill. ;)

If a shop will not either let me bring in an old system or run my personal
software...

>So, such a person would be required to build a machine at home, and
>get an account with an ISP in order to do e-mail in the FreeBSD-list
>approved manner.  Just might not be an option.

Certainly.  What I've done in the past isn't even to install the software.
Eudora resides on my version of briefcase, which is a hard drive in a
carrier and absolves them of licensing problems.  Not fond of running 2
mail agents, but it works.

Should that not even be allowed then they either need to buy some more
software or find someone else, since I will not be able to do my job.

Course Gene may not be in that position, so I really do feel for him then,
but there are places that offer free mail.  Another fact of the matter is
that personal mail should *not* come into a business account.  Also when it
does so it allows them to freely look at your mail, since it becomes their
property under the Electronic Privacy Act.

Call me an SOB (or spoiled) when comes to some things, but if I had
problems with this much, then doing my job isn't going to exactly be a
pleasure.  Dread the day if/when I have to deal with a firewall that isn't
in my control.

And yes, I do my best to accomodate those with similiar requests.  With
that I'll step off my soapbox and suggest that Gene either work something
out or deal with the listmail asis or from home if possible presuming that
this is a "work related" problem.

>On the other hand, I can't see a reason for the list to change its
>methods to accomodate such poor, lost souls either.

Very agreed.

Oh, and kudos to jmb and others that have worked to reduce the junk on the
lists.  Jon may recall my bitching about being able to list subscribers
many moons back.  Rather put off with another list manager that isn't even
listening to subscriber complaints, so am just a bit hot at the moment.

Back to the usual -stable discussion...

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve