Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:13:18 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        UFCK28B@prodigy.com (JAN NEAL)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minimize programs on startup in X

JAN NEAL writes:
> Is it possible to start programs in a minimized
> state on startup.  I have looked through the man
> entry for X, but I can't find anything on it.

Usually. It depends mostly on the application, and whether or
not it passes its commandline to the Xtoolkit. Almost all do
as a rule.

The command line option is: "-iconic". I guess you were
searching for "minimize" or similar. :-) It is covered in
the X manpage.

Terminology often gets in the way like that.

> I'm trying to do this by modifying xinitrc

Now, that depends on what you're doing in xinitrc. See if
adding -iconic to the app's command line helps. Most Xtoolkit
options have 'resource' equivalents, so if you always wanted
to start a particular program iconified regardless of how you
start it, then you might add:

resourcename*iconic: true

to your ~/.Xdefaults.  "resourcename" is the resource string
that your program uses - normally it will be the same or similar
to the name of the program, sometimes only the case is different.
See its manpage and the RESOURCES section for more explanation.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/