Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 20:50:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        tom@smart.ruhr.de, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Impressions of stability ( was Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ??? )

> I'm currently in X11, fired up pine in an xterm. Loaded the
> 900 messages long -current mailinglist folder. Edited this reply.
> Edited a 20MB large messages file with vi in parallel. Truncated it
> to 1M length. When I wanted to send the message I got /var filesystem
> full message, first. Deceided to save the 1 MB messages file and to
> leave vi. Checked space in /var. Then I got the free(): message...
>
> Since then cursor positioning in vi wasn't ok. Wrote the file to /tmp/xxx
> (/tmp is a 90M large memory filesystem). And wrote it to /tmp/yyy.
> When I entered pine this time, I wanted to include /tmp/xxx as my
> reply. The file was empty (surprise, surprise). /tmp/yyy was ok,
> puh... ;-)
>
> I think I'm surely the one and only who got this result ;-))

I'm not quite sure what the chain of events here was but it looks like
something that's bitten me a few times and I really don't like the way
this works.

If you try and write a file to a nearly full filesystem and that write
fails because the filesytem fills up, the file gets truncated. This is
a very nasty thing to happen. I'm not sure what the actual course of
events are but I'd really like to find some way of preventing it from
happening. I'd be satisfied if I just ended up with part of the file but
losing the whole thing can be really annoying if it's a chapter of your
thesis, which is what once happened to me.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)