Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 1995 14:39:37 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ethernet interface AUI, UTP and BNC ports

<<On Wed, 8 Mar 95 20:44 CST, steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette) said:

> Given the number of questions users, new and old, keep asking about the correct
> ifconfig options for using the various ports on an interface, doesn't make
> sense to define AUI, UTP, and BNC as some alias of link0-2 in ifconfig?

No.  The drivers (and ifconfig(8)) should be fixed to use the type
field that I defined a couple of months ago, and stop abusing the
flags in this way.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.