Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 18:56:54 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on new SCSI hardware

> On 20-Nov-97 Ollivier Robert wrote:
> >I recently saw a press release about Micropolis... It seems they're
> >almost
> >dead (people fired, offices closing and so on).
> >
> >The IBM drives (DCHS / DCAS) are good too.
>
> I've heard good things about those drives, but I can't find any place that
> has them for a decent price.  (about $300 for about 4GB is a good price, i
> guess :)

Last time I looked http://www.onsale.com was selling the DCHS-39100.
9G Fast-Wide (not Ultra). Paid $604 for mine but at least one auction
closed this week at a bottom price of $569. They were selling 50 to 80 at
a time. No trouble bidding on one or two.

While Onsale claims the drive has a 5 year warranty, they say its
handled thru IBM. Forgot if there was an "OEM" mark on mine. Not sure
how warranty will be handled but I printed their web page with the
claim, and my bid listed, and should have good grounds for false
advertising if I'm denied warranty service.

After you get yours, read the scsi(8) manpage an set the WCE (Write
Cache Enable) bit. Improves performance very noticably.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net