Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:02:07 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mounting a samba share on boot?

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 04:27:31 -0800 (PST)
Bill Tillman articulated:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:08:38 -0800 (PST), Bill Tillman wrote:
> > Typically, Samba is used so that Windows or other SMB type
> > OS'es can access the server. That said, I would simplify all
> > this with the way I have mine setup. You will of course need
> > the shares configured in your smb.conf, then simply put a
> > command in your /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/ to launch smdb
> > and nmbd. I don't rely on anything in /etc/fstab to use samba.
> > It's all in my smb.conf file.
>
> Yes, that would be "the other way round", which I thought would
> be less probable due to the question presented in the subject.
> Terms like "mount [...] on boot" suggests that FreeBSD would act
> as a SMB client here. Of course, the standard way to do things
> like this would usually be something like NFS, which is not
> very well supported in "Windows" land (and therefor requiring
> SMB stuff).
>
> Delegating the configuration into _one_ file (instead of spreading
> it across /etc/fstab, /etc/nsmb.conf and maybe some handcrafted
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d script) sounds like a much better approach.

NFS is available on Windows 7, it's just not installed by default.

In order to activate the Client for NFS, go into the Control Panel, and
go to "Programs and Features". In the left hand column, you'll see a
link for "Turn Windows features on or off".

Select that, and it will open a list box that shows all of the optional
components built in to Windows 7. Some are already activated.  Expand
the entry for "Services for NFS". There are two check boxes under
that.  Check them and hit OK.  Windows will install those components
and ask to reboot your system. Once you have rebooted, Client for NFS
will be installed.

To use it, go to Administrative Tools->Services for NFS to configure
it. Alternatively, you can use the command line program 'nfsadmin' to
configure.

For other versions of Windows, see: How to install Client for NFS on
Windows: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324055>;

I have seen several setups with this sort of integration that worked
just fine.

--
Jerry ♔