Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 02:22:24 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbies - "Handle me with care?"

It's funny how Sue Blake and I have diametrically opposed philosophies
regarding how newbies should deal with BSD:

(1) She believes newbies should act with caution; not play with
freebsd-current, be careful when trying new things, etc, for fear of
screwing up your system.  She told me not to EVER encourage anyone with
less than 10 years experience to try freebsd-current, and stick with the
stable release only.  Sorry, Sue, that's not how it goes:

(2) I believe it's *experienced* BSD people who should be cautious, because
they have long-established systems to maintain, hundreds of customizations
that could be lost, customers that could get pissed, etc, etc.  Newbies
should not only not just be careless, they should try anything and
everything!  Set aside a partition on your hard drive that you can "play
with" without fear of losing anything important if you want to.  Then throw
caution to the wind and try everything!  If you screw something up, you're
a lucky person... you now have the opportunity to learn how to fix it, so
if it happens again, you'll know what to do next time.  Don't  wait to
build your own custom kernel; Do it immediately and see if it works!  It's
*easy* to recover from if it doesn't.  Wipe your BSD partition on a regular
basis and try different types of installations.  Try the alpha releases of
BSD and see how they work on your system.  Try commands you've never seen
before.  Experiment.  Play around.  Make mistakes and learn how to fix
those mistakes.  If you don't, you will stay a newbie for a long time.

So, oh list reader, which philosophy do *YOU* subscribe to?

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.