Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 21:30:55 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

On 30 May 2012 19:20, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending i=
t to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users.

> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which a=
dvertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd like=
 to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD. =A0If you =
had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you p=
ick? =A0Are they the same as when you first started using it?

You might not have wanted opinions from developers... but

1) Complete base system-- if I mess up badly with ports I can delete
them all and still have a usable system to recover from

2) Simplicity of configuration-- mostly configured with flat text
files rather than directories full of conf files

3) Friendly community; easy to get support from people who really know
what they're doing.

Chris