Date:      04 Feb 2003 12:22:08 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net> writes:

> [...]  I'd say most of you need thicker skin. [...]

I was going stay out of this thread because of my 2-yr newbieness and
because I'm still recovering from a recent experience involving the
too-thin skins of both a core member and myself.  But the above quote
(with "most" replaced with "some") is an oft-recurring thought in my
recent ruminations, so I'd like draw people's attention to it.

The Project would be better off if people tried to take other's seeming
offenses less seriously in general, and particularly when considering
actions which are likely to send someone packing forever, like the
withdrawal of priviledges or even the sending of a too-harsh flame.

When one takes offense at something, I think it's fair, even good, to
let them know what you don't like about it, but one should try hard to
keep the temperature down.  I'm sure most people try to, but still
manage to fall short, too often because some people's skin is way too
thin.  (I find it off-putting and/or time-wasting to have to word
replies on freebsd-* as carefully as seems necessary.)  Which brings us
full circle.  The problem needs to be worked at both ends.

Though this child's mantra isn't true, it's none-the-less a good mantra
for both children and mailing list users:

    Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Core members are carrying sticks and stones here (and rightfully so,
IMO) and they should be very careful that they don't use them too
readily when they've let some words too-easily hurt them.

(I'm starting to speculate now, but I suspect that core's authority to
select among design choices should be all the power they need to
exercise for the betterment of FreeBSD, in all cases but those of clear
harassment and vandalism (e.g., refusals to honor that design authority
during commitments of code).)