Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:30:12 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        Joseph Stein <joes@joescanner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw rules

Joseph Stein wrote:

> I'm looking for some peer-review to a firewall ruleset I've written based
> on the O'Reilly book "Building Internet Firewalls" and the "default"
> rc.firewall script
>
> Here it is.  I would gladly accept any comments;  this is merely what
> "works" on my system; if it breaks some paradigm, I'd like to hear about
> why (please mail me privately, and I'll summarize if there is enough
> interest).
>
> I do have one specific question....
>
> The last 20 or so lines are there specifically to allow ICQ to work
> properly (I couldn't get ICQ to work succesfully with out them).  Any
> ideas on how to eliminate some of that mess?
>
> Any other ideas?

don't have time to read this thoroughly, but here's an old favourite...

> # Allow access to DNS
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to ${oip} 53 setup
> ${fwcmd} add pass udp from any to ${oip} 53
> ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${oip} 53 to any
> ${fwcmd} add pass udp from any 53 to ${oip}
                             ^^^^^^

by setting my source port to 53, i can connect from anywhere to any udp
service on your ${oip}. e.g. NFS, syslog, whatever. this would be bad -
you should never filter based on source port.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995