Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 12:44:26 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        mike@smith.net.au, des@flood.ping.uio.no
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: future of syscons

des>> The kernel configuration file should look:
des>>
des>> controller 	kbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD tty
des>> device 		atkbd0 at isa? tty flags xxxx
des>> device		psm0 at isa? tty flags yyy
des>
des>Shouldn't it be:
des>
des>device		atkbd0	at kbdc0 flags xxxx
des>device		psm0	at kbdc0 flags yyyy

msmith>> controller 	kbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD tty
msmith>> device 	atkbd0 at isa? tty flags xxxx
msmith>> device		psm0 at isa? tty flags yyy
msmith>
msmith>Just to note that ultimately you won't specify the 'tty' mask here, but
msmith>rather in the interrupt connection function, so:
msmith>
msmith>controller	atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
msmith>device		atkbd0 at kbdc?
msmith>device		psm0 at kbdc?

That's exactly what I want to do!  What I proposed was merely an interim,
compromise measure.  Because of the current config(8) and the ISA bus code
in i386, we cannot write flags like the following.

	device		psm0 at kbdc? flags yyy

(In alpha, this shouldn't be a problem, should it?)

msmith>Also, since the atkbd and psm device interrupt handlers can only be
msmith>called from the atkbdc driver, they don't register interrupts and thus
msmith>don't have/need masks.

There is a compromise here too.  In i386, if atkbdc wants to have TWO
interrupt handlers, it has to call register_intr() directly (and make
sure that there won't be conflicts), rather than letting
isa_configure() to do the deed, because isa_configure() can assign
only one interrupt to a device.  Am I wrong?

I expect this can be solved once resource management code is fully
utilized in i386.  But, this is not yet happening.

For the time being, psm and atkbd have to register their own interrupt
handlers independently and share keyboard controller I/O routines in
atkbdc, (just as syscons and psm have been doing until now via
routines in kbdio).

Again, alpha should be able to do it better, right?

msmith>> device		sc0 at isa? tty flags zzz
msmith>
msmith>What's this?  Don't you mean:
msmith>
msmith>pseudo-device	syscons 1

I thought I will do it like this first.  But, again, I realized that
we currently don't have a means to pass flags to the pseudo-device.
The current syscons code still uses some flags bits.  Once we eliminate
these, we can declare it as a pseudo device.

Kazu