Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:54:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        keith waters <keith4@ilink.nis.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unreasonable rebuild time on large password files

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, keith waters wrote:

> This must be one of the worst cases of code/resourse optimisation,
> since changing a password means rebuilding EVERY SINGLE entry in the
> password databases.

    We await your optimized code diffs to pwd_mkdb(8) then.  :)

> Does anybody out there have a working solution ?  Please!

    In the meantime, look through the pwd_mkdb source and increase the
default hash table size (it is fixed at 2MB, IIRC).  Increase this as
necessary to minimize disk thrashing.  The time needed to rebuild the
databases is almost inversely proportional to the amount of memory you
allow pwd_mkdb to allocate, up to a point.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)