Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:04:26 -0500
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@seidata.com>
To:        wghhicks@ix.netcom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

Jerry Hicks wrote:

> I bet the Linux porters *do* have access to the aforementioned source
> code.  And probably a goodly share of other DEC resources as well.

I use FreeBSD and Linux on a regular basis, and if this is
the case, I find it very discouraging.  I've always viewed
Linux and FreeBSD as "alternative operating systems".  That
is defined, by me, to be operating systems programmed by
individuals that rise above petty differences, corporate
bloat, and/or monetary concerns to have one common goal...
to program the best OS possible.  Windows/MacOS/etc. seem to
be so busy fighting against each other that progress is, in
many ways, greatly hindered by their petty, greed-driven
bickering.  I had always hoped (and still believe) that both
FreeBSD and Linux rose above such bickering and focussed on
the important issues of security/performance/etc.  If,
however, either side were to purposefully withhold any type
of information simply to "ensure their OS does better than
the other", it would seem the guilty party has adopted a
rather Microsoft-like attitude on development.

---
 Mike Hoskins
 SEI Data Network Services
 mike@seidata.com