Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:18:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org, gibbs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More ahc woes.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

>The Supermicro 370DL3 will *not* work if you have options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO.
>I've been working with Dan Eischen on this problem, but we don't have
>a solution yet.  If you aren't using this option, I'm not sure what
>the problem is with your system since Dan's seems to run okay.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's up either then.  This kernel is the BOOTMFS
kernel that is on the 4.1.1 install floppy.  I do not believe
AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO is in this kernel as it is not in GENERIC presently.

>>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>>fault virtual address	= 0x1c
>>fault code				= supervisor read, page not present
>>instruction pointer		= 0x8:0xc02b5fe4
>
>I need to know what this address corresponds to in your kernel.
>
>nm panicing.kernel | sort
>
>will show you what function is at fault.

I pulled the kernel off of the install disk but it's been stripped.  nm
didn't do me much good.  nm -D will return dynamic symbols
but none of them correspond to any of the addresses returned in the
panic message.  My next thought is to build a kernel on a 4.1 system and
copy it over to the working current partition and boot it and write down
the symbol addresses.  So I'll be able to track down which function it is
panicing in because I won't strip the kernel.  Anything else you can
think of while I'm working on this?

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying