Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:38:24 -0500
From:      Douglas Egan <degan@calcon.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   where to set hw.ata.wc

I want to run with 'soft updates' on ATA-100 Western Digital drives, so
I want to make sure that hw.ata.wc="0"

I am looking for the definitive solution for modifying this sysctl
value.

/etc/sysctl.conf  - since it is read only value, it has been said
                    by the time it gets here it is too late.  I have
                    verified that this has no effect.

/boot/loader.conf - didn't try, but upgrading OS might overwrite file

/boot/loader.conf.local - effective, but am unsure if this file is
                          unaffected by upgrading.

It seems /boot/loader.conf.local is the place, but I would like to know
for sure.

Thanks,

Doug Egan