Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:55:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        adam@homeport.org (Adam Shostack)
Cc:        dholland@eecs.harvard.edu, robert@cyrus.watson.org, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure logging (was: Re: security hole in FreeBSD)

> | I don't know of any; if you run across one or are thinking about
> | designing one, please post or mail... absent any other readily
> | available secure mechanism probably the best bet is to carry log data
> | over ssh. Of course, this doesn't solve the denial of service issue as
> | anyone with a login can spam the local syslog.
>
> I've been working on a draft set of requirements--very drafty, but
> since the subject came up, I'll share & ask for feedback.
>

> Requirements
>
>       Reliability: The system must make substantial efforts to not
> 	lose information.
>
>             Network Requirements
>             TCP based
>             Application sequencing with explicit ack before sender deletes

How are you going to handle the log server going away and coming back??

>             Application Reliability
>             NO data discarding
>             Solid message handling locally-messages kept until discard
>             Repeated message management (?)
>
>       Portability
>       External Alerting
>       External Intrusion Detection linking

	Security: The data over the network must be unreadable
	unless a secret is known.  Syslog data can contain
	confidential information.

How about just converting syslog/syslogd to handle a kerberized
t/tcp connection??

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD