Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 11:18:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Kent S. Gordon" <kgor@inetspace.com>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk
Cc:        ortmann@sparc.isl.net, FreeBSD-gnats@freefall.freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/3259: /bin/ps: kernel kernel, lockups, performance problems

    >> Note: I've experienced performance problems as well.  These
    >> problems have appeared to be in sendmail, the gcc compiler (a
    >> make world now takes at least 3 times longer than before!)

    > Try 'make world' using an older kernel (Mar 20 or so). If the
    > performance problem goes away, you are probably seeing the same
    > problem that I am.
My 586/100 16MB bt445 machine does not even successfully boot with a
kernel newer than about Mar 20.  It hangs in boot trying to find the
boot disk (or finds it as a unknown device type depending on options
in the kernel config and whick -current is used).

    > -- Bob Bishop (0118) 977 4017 international code +44 118
    > rb@gid.co.uk fax (0118) 989 4254 between 0800 and 1800 UK

Kent S. Gordon
Senior Software Engineer
INetSpace Co.