Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:50:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bob@luke.pmr.com, dg@root.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What 100mbps ethernet card(s) to use w/SMP?

> > >    Interrupts simply aren't working correctly on your machine. It's not
> > > a problem with the cards you're plugging in, it's a problem with interrupt
> > > (perhaps APIC) configuration.
> >
> > Any idea why it would only effect the ethernet adapters and not the
> > scsi adapters?  Are there any BIOS setup things to check for that
> > might cause this?
> >
> I had a really wierd networking problem on a new system last week
> at work.  The system had an Intel ethernet adaptor, and was basically
> a typical PC.  I had to reset the bios from scratch and things started
> working...  I have NO idea as to what was going on, but two PCI devices
> were being mapped to the same IRQ before when the problem manifested
> itself.  When the problem went away, all of the devices had seperate
> IRQs.

Shared PCI interrupts have problems working on some SMP boxes, and
always have.

The "5th slot" thing is a screwup because it forces sharing (the
interrupt lines are typically grabbed in order in the slot, and
with only 4 lines, you only have 4 linear orderings, so one of the
slots has to duplicate one of the other slots).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.