Date:      29 Sep 1999 13:41:42 +1000
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System crash on "vinum start"

In freebsd-current you wrote:
>> Being in the hardware RAID business myself I cannot help asking: why do you
>> want to loose the hardware RAID in favor of a software solution? Flexibility
>> (just guessing) or price maybe?

> Because DPT has screwed this customer over for the last time...

I suspect that back porting the ida (Compaq SMART RAID) driver from
-current to 3.x would be both quicker and cheaper that the software
development you propose. At least that way you don't have to deal
with DPT.

Any software additions to support hot swap and auto-rebuild would need
to interoperate with vinum. From my understanding, vinum will survive
a failed disk and continue to run. However no mechanism is yet available
to automatically rebuild a new disk.

        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 04-1822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |