Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 09:41:36 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Version Numbering

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.10103040926460.35019-100000@athena.uniserve.ca
writes:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Andrew Hesford wrote:
>
> > What with all the version inflation going on in the Linux world, I have
> > an idea for FreeBSD.
> >
> > Forget 4.3-STABLE. Skip to 4.4. And rather than calling it FreeBSD
> > 4.4-STABLE, call it 4.4FreeBSD. That way, we can show off the roots of
> > FreeBSD and make it sound cool, too!
>
>   This discussion already occured over a year ago.  Use the archive.

Agreed, I don't want to see this discussion again.

> > Or, we can stop people from asking, "Why is RedHat in version 7,
> > Mandrake almost in version 8, and FreeBSD only in 4?" (assuming RedHat
> > users even know what FreeBSD is). Just call the next release FreeBSD
> > 10.3-STABLE or FreeBSD 2001-STABLE.
>
>   Are people seriously fooled by version numbers?  I've never seen anyone
> on this list ask why the version number wasn't bigger.

I had a snide remark about windows that might have been appropriate at
another time and in another place, however this topic doesn't belong
here, it's been discussed to death and a decision has been made.
Anyone who still wants to discuss this topic, take it to -chat and quit
wasting our time!

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC