Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 23:16:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Vs. Texas

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>
> >Given that your State's major computer makers have succeeded in influencing the
> >due law process, I am going to make it a point NOT to buy DELL or Compaq
> >computers.
>
> CC to dan.morales trimmed in the interest of decorum.

Same trim...

> How, on earth, does it possibly help us to send email to a government
> official telling him that he is and the government he works in is corrupt?

Though acknowleging pressure from the Texas computer industry in my
letter, I think Mr. Morales' decision was probably based on the
apellate court decision announced in the paper. I think he also
understands "advocacy" includes sometimes outrageous and even
uninformed statements. For better or worse.

> How does this advance FreeBSD? It does not advance FreeBSD or free
> software in any way, whatsoever. How does it help us to advertise that
> _we_ are not interested in two major PC manufacturers?

> This is not advocacy. This is vindictive.

It is also a basic tool of comsumer advocacy.

> When you CC'd this list in your communication with Dan Morales you
> provided a de facto endorsement of your position by the entire FreeBSD
> community.

I think the victorian term was "balderdash". CC' ing simply states that
someone else got a copy.

> If you really feel this way then that is your personal interaction with
> your government officials. Leave me out of it.

> I think that the the term "lazy" has been used (by you?) to describe BSD
> advocacy on a couple occasions. If this is what it means to _not_ be lazy,
> I want no part of it. Don't bash me for being "lazy" if I refuse to be
> vindictive.

You are _not_ lazy. (And not calm either ;-) - good!)

> Don't mistake calm discussion for ineffective discussion. We need not be
> bully-ish to advance FreeBSD.

> I think that -advocacy should lay down some ground rules for our behaviour
> in the public eye. We should write it down and make everyone abide by the
> rules. This should be done in the interest of the image of FreeBSD.

> The -core is fortunate in this respect, they have leadership and
> organization. -Advocacy should develop the same. We should get all of our
> guns pointed in the right direction before we start having friendly
> casualties.

Government has an irrevokable and powerful influence on commerce. If
you don't like something government does, say so to what ever official is
the responsible party.

I am sorry if my doing so has offended any on this list.

You have made, under separate cover, a proposal for a charter and a
"network". Do it. I support you in it.

John