Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:19:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   udma file system corruption

Had an interesting one tonight...  I've been using rrestore to duplicate
the filesystems on a bunch of machines that I'm mass-producing.  Things
seemed to be going OK, but one of these machines (Compaq Presario
5340) booted up twice, started throwing up strange warnings about UDMA not
working correctly (and falling back to PIO), then refused to boot - when
it tried to mount /, it would panic every time...  Took the HD out and
popped it into another machine, and half of the files in / and /var were
basically worthless - "ls" would show them, "ls -l" wouldn't, couldn't
remove the entries, etc...

Realizing that there's not enough detail here to get an accurate answer,
is this something that can likely be contributed to iffy UDMA support on
this particular machine?  I'm just gonna turn this box into another
diskless machine, but I'm curious...

mike