Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 21:33:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APC PowerChute

As chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu wrote:

>         Anyone have any experience running APC's PowerChute UPS
> software under the SCO emulator? We're moving all of our systems (Suns,
> DEC's, PC's (running FreeBSD and Linux), and macs (bleck!)) to run on UPS'
> since a brown-out earlier this week fried a couple of disks. Any info on
> UPS experiences would also be helpful.

APC powerchute sucks.  At least the SCO version i've seen.

I've got the chance to hold my hands on two APC Smart UPSen for a
weekend recently.  I owe great thanks to Ty Hoeffer,
<pth3k@galen.med.virginia.edu>, who's been publishing his knowlege.
The result is a simple Smart UPS monitor, and a much more valuable
file smartups.h, describing as much of the Smart UPS protocol as i
could examine while i've got them available.

The result will be in /xperimnt on the 2.1 CD.  I would upload it to
ftp.{freebsd.org,cdrom.com}, but the lines from Europe are simply
terrible these days.

The snapshot should be available as

  ftp://ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de/pub/people/wunsch/smartups/smartups.tar.gz

really soon now.

--
cheers, J"org