Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:07:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        garyj@muc.de
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11R6 and CAM (??)

Gary Jennejohn wrote...
> Simon Shapiro writes:
> >I know the ports are not dow yet, but this one does not seem ELF related,
> >rather... CAM (??) releated;  The following errors started cropping up just
> >about when CAM was checked in.  I searched for these symbols and cannot
> >find them.  Any clue?
> >
> >gcc -O2   -I. -I./lib/Xt -I. -I./X11  -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/include
> >-DCSRG_BASED  -DHAVE_SYS_PARAM_H -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -c
> >freebsd_system.c
> >freebsd_system.c:147: `DK_NDRIVE' undeclared here (not in a function)
> >freebsd_system.c:147: `DK_NAMELEN' undeclared here (not in a function)
> >freebsd_system.c:196: `DK_NDRIVE' undeclared here (not in a function)
> >freebsd_system.c: In function `total_disk_transfers':
> >freebsd_system.c:278: `DK_NDRIVE' undeclared (first use this function)
> >freebsd_system.c:278: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> >freebsd_system.c:278: for each function it appears in.)
> >freebsd_system.c: In function `collect_stats':
> >freebsd_system.c:310: `DK_NDRIVE' undeclared (first use this function)
> >freebsd_system.c:385: `MOUNT_NFS' undeclared (first use this function)
> >freebsd_system.c: In function `get_namelist':
> >freebsd_system.c:483: `DK_NDRIVE' undeclared (first use this function)
> >*** Error code 1
> >

> since CAM this functionality is provided using sysctl. There's a library
> (libdevstat) which provides a pretty good interface and hides all the
> dirty details of using the sysctl's.
>
> This looks like xsysinfo. I munged it to work with libdevstat (basically
> stole the code from iostat :) and sent the changes to the maintainer.
> Unfortunately, he's currently doing his compulsory military service and
> doesn't have time to look at my changes :(

Well, how about doing something like putting the devstat patches for it in
the ports tree?  That will probably do until the author has a chance to
merge the changes in.

You might want to make the build procedure autodetect devstat, so it will
work with either the 2.2.x releases or 3.0.  I'd recommend doing something
like:

.if exists(/usr/include/devstat.h)
CFLAGS+= -DFREEBSD_DEVSTAT
.endif

Or something like that.

[ I would do it myself, but I'm extremely swamped at the moment..:( ]

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com