Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:46:58 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Markus Stumpf <maex-freebsd-hackers@Space.Net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3.4 - large file - seek problems

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 05:07:40PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> > The tail bug has been reported as PR bin/14786, and it looks like
> > there's a patch in there.  See if it fixes your problem.  As for less,
> > you can contact the author and see if he can fix it; it's not a stock
> > FreeBSD program.
>
> This is certainly the path to pursue, although I'm not sure how much luck
> it would have. The GNU maintainers typically are focussed mainly on linux,
> which I believe does not have support for 64-bit file sizes at the kernel
> level (perhaps this has been fixed).

I think the patch there is one wrote. However I only patched tail,
and not "tail -r". I was waiting for someone to test and review my
fix before implementing a similar fix for "tail -r".

(For reference, it mmaps the file in chunks instead of the whole
thing at one time. It made tail very slightly slower, but probably
better to have it working properly.)

	David.