Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:45:47 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Simple router with basic firewall functionalioties

> > I also thought about a SAMBA server, to ensure compatibility to exchanga
>> > data with the M$ machines running here. Any security issues?
>>
>> If you run Samba servers, yes. But...
>
>It would be a VERY good idea to block any samba traffic directed in from the
>Internet. From my firewall logs, the top three types of probes we get are:

Hi!

Network topology as follows:

INternet---University--students home gateway (Linux)---my Pc

students home has a complete public class B IP range.
Due to having a peer-to-peer chaotic network, mostly M$ based, we also use
the normal SMB based directory services to transfer some files.

>Samba is a very chatty protocol which will propagate to the edge of the
>Internet if allowed.  Let a broadcast get out and you can expect to receive a
>friendly reply...
>
>Be sure the other services are turned off if you do not specifically need
>them.
Yes, for sure..

>> > Is it also possible to Send/receive the "messenging service" of NT,
>> > respective the "Popups"?
>
>Do you mean the AOL messenger service? I think that comes in as POP traffic.
>Just 'allow' traffic on that port thru from the Internet.

No, I mean the normal SMB based messages, like intoduced already in LAN
MAnager, for in-house communication via the Netbeui/Netbios protocol
(non-routable, broadcast)
In Win95/NT there is the telephony/popup program, we use the Realpopup
instead...

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)