Date:      04 Jan 2003 23:23:01 +0000
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        wgrim@siue.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nsswitch help for you?

On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 06:54, wgrim@siue.edu wrote:
> Quoting Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>:
>
> > what exactly do you want/need?
> > danny
>
> Sorry, I'll try to get as specific as I can with my currently limited knowledge
> of the FBSD source code.
>
> Basically, I would like to know where I can find information on the nsswitch
> protocol (if that is even such a thing): perhaps a document or standards paper?

The closest I've seen would be the nsswitch.conf man page from Solaris
or Linux.  Read what functionality is provided, figure out how to make
that work on FreeBSD, write up your ideas, hack some code, ask for
reviews along the way.  I'm certainl you'll find people who are
interested.

> I will be downloading -CURRENT tomorrow so I can take a look at the current
> nsswitch code, but is there anything you know right off hand that would help me?

Ick?  ;^)

While you're out digging up man pages and such, be sure to look up
gethostbyname_r, getpwuid_r, etc.; we've been needed these reentrant
versions for quite some time now.  You will most likely find that a
proper implementation will provide the _r versions of these routines
then implement the static versions on top of the reentrant ones.

> I'm sorry for the incompetence and don't want to clutter -hackers mailing list
> any more than I have too, but I don't exactly know what types of questions to
> even really ask you yet.  If there is any general type of information you have
> to help the learning curve of the kernel though, I'd appreciate it.

There's a world of difference between incompetence and just starting
out.  Please feel free to pester me for advice, moral support, reviews,
etc.  I started filling out the complement of _r routines in the library
several years ago and quit when I got to getXbyY_r because the existing
code was so turgid and the task a bit too daunting for the time I had
available.  Helping you finish it would lift a large load from my
FreeBSD psyche.  :^)