Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 1995 02:04:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@rflab1.gtri.gatech.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.0-950928-SNAP initial experiences

	Well, I installed 2.1.0-950928-SNAP on 2 P-100's tonight, and it
went off like a charm.

Just as a data point:

Both have ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4XE motherboards, Pentium 100's, ASUS SC-200 NCR
controllers, SMC PCI ethernet cards.  One has 8 megs, the other 16.  Both
have 1 gig Fujitsu drives.
	We did the install via ftp from a machine on the local network.

	Anyway, we've been having a strange problem with telnetd:

{foo:/usr/home/ken:25} telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.residence.gatech.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
ld.so failed: Undefined symbol "_encrypt_debug_mode" in telnetd:telnetd
Connection closed by foreign host.

	That same problem comes up when telneting into the box from
anywhere.  (Solaris, localhost, 2.0.5 boxes, IRIX 5.2...)
	rlogind doesn't seem to be affected by that problem.  Any idea
what's wrong?  I installed the DES stuff, but not any of the Kerberos or
eBones stuff.

	Another thing...the timezone config seems to be wrong, at least in
what it tells you.   (i.e. you give it local time, it thinks local time is
GMT or something, and spits back local time minus your GMT offset or
something....my mind is kinda fuzzy on that one right now...)

	The install looks pretty good, overall.  I've got one minor nit,
besides the timezone stuff.  I went through the paritioning stuff, created
a BSD partition, and used the 'w' option to write it out.  Then I went to
the disklabel stuff, and when I tried to write it out, I think it said it
couldn't write out the root partition, and spit out some kind of error
message.  I had to back out to the previous menu, and chose the 'commit'
option in order to get sysinstall to properly disklabel and newfs the
drives.  After that, though, it worked just fine.
	Anyway, I hope this helps debug things before the release.  Take
the install stuff with a grain of salt...(I'm damn tired) but the
telnetd problem is easily reproducible.
	Overall, the install is pretty nice, and things look pretty good.
The machines I installed it on belong to two FreeBSD newbies (they aren't
afraid to try things out, though).  They were very impressed with the
ports stuff.  (IMO it's one of FreeBSD's great assets)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@rflab1.gtri.gatech.edu