Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:19:19 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad memory patch?

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 07:01:56PM +0100, J McKitrick wrote:
> I think the concept here is that it allows you to use the bad RAM.  It's
> like bad blocks on a hard drive.  SO now, if you think you have bad RAM, you
> can run the test, mark the bad blocks, and memory will be allocated 'around'
> them.

That would be fine if it were possiable to write a test which found all
bad RAM, but you can't do that.  I don't think this is the sort of thing
we want anywhere near the project.  It's just not possiable to make this
sort of thing reliable.  It's rather poor solution to the problem.  The
right solution is to buy RAM from a vendor with lifetime free
replacement.  It might cost a bit more, but you don't have to deal with
unreliable hacks like this.  It all comes back to the problem that if
you test a complex system, you can prove it's bad but you can't prove
it's good.

-- Brooks