Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 12:09:39 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        bag@sinbin.demos.su (Alex G. Bulushev)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund), sepotvin@videotron.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> there are several problems with dev's in a chroot'ed enviroment,
> for example a real system (we use it):
> 1. about 500 chroot'ed "virtual mashines", the /dev containes only
>    necessary devices (tty??) for each VM (created by mknod when VM created)
> 2. users fs (on main server) with VM (end /dev for each VM) mounted via nfs
>    on several hosts where users realy work (chroot on nfs)
> 3. each VM can created or deleted while system working on main server
>
> and what about future of this scheme with new devfs ideas?
> mount devfs for each VM on main server and hosts where users work?
> and unmount devfs on each host before VM deleted?

That's the most logical way of doing it.  It would be quite
straightforward to mount a DEVFS and have it not populated by default
(eg. mount -t devfs -o empty ...).  Then your mknods run as "normal"
creating the devices you want.

DEVFS is per-system.  You cannot export a DEVFS via NFS (it makes no
sense to do so - devices there are only relevant to the host system).