Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      FreeBSD user <bugrpt51@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell PowerEdge 400SC fan speed monitoring

Howdy gang,

I've got a Dell PowerEdge 400SC running 5.3-BETA2 nicely, and I'd like to be able to monitor the internal fan RPM, if possible. The PE 400SC motherboard is very similar to an Intel D875PBZ. I've added the following SMBus options to my kernel:

# smbus interface to Intel ICH5 management
device          smbus           # Bus support, required for smb below.
device          ichsmb
device          smb
# IIC devices to support motherboard monitoring
device          iicbus
device          iicbb
device          iicsmb

# devices I've added at the suggestion of Google and man pages:
device          intpm
device          pcf

But none of the fan speed monitoring ports I've tried will give any useful results for fan speed. I've installed sysutils/xmbmon, which was gives reasonable looking values for the chipset, motherboard, and CPU temperatures, but lists fan speed as "0". sysutils/healthd, when run in non-daemon mode using the SMBus, reports tempertature at 0, 0, 0, and fan rotational speed at an unreasonable-looking 0, 22500, 9642. sysutils/consolehm won't compile in SMBus support unless I symlink /usr/include/dev/smbus/smb.h to /usr/include/machine/, and then it reports 40.0 degrees C for all 3 temperature sensors and some wacky numbers for fan RPM like 8k, 33k, and 16k.

Is anyone else able to monitor their PowerEdge 400SC fan speed(s)? Does anyone have suggestions for getting this working? Am I just chasing my tail with this? Tune in next week as we present the next episode of ... As the server turns!

Thanks,

Josh