Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:39:21 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        robin@workstationsuk.demon.co.uk (Robin Harker)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT RAID controller support

Robin Harker wrote:

> I understand that FreeBSD may have support for DPT's caching RAID
> controllers.  Has anyone added functionality so that e.g. drive failures
> and rebuilding can be handled on-line?

If you're using one of DPT's own external casings (or a DEC StorageWorks
casing, apparently [which according to one rumour I've heard is just an OEM
manufactured DPT casing]), then disk changes will automatically be detected
(and rebuild initiated).  Rebuilding onto a "hot spare" will be initiated
automatically regardless of how and where the disks are mounted (since it
requires no disk swap).

For "serious" housekeeping on the array you an always use the DOS version of
DPT's StorageManager software, but that should hardly ever be necessary
except during initial installation.

PS:  For the record, I have never actually used a DPT controller under
FreeBSD.  I have just acquired one one loan from a supplier with the express
purpose of doing this - I would also be quite interested in hearing the
experiences of anyone else with using DPT RAID controllers under FreeBSD.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878