Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:51:42 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Marcel Debisschop <Mdebis@village.uunet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software

> Marcel Debisschop wrote:
>
> Hallo,
> It was the first time today that I heard about freeBSD.
> I would like to know if I wan run applications such as Office97 under
> FreeBSD?
> I am a CAD-CAM teacher, can I run Microstation and Microstation Modeler (2D
> an 3D drawing, rendering and visualisation). This is a must for me.
> I would realy like to try FreeBSD, but first I need to know if I can work
> with those programs.

Sorry, you can't run Office'97 (or similar Win'95/98/NT apps) under FreeBSD as
of yet... There are emulators (of which 'bochs' and 'wine' spring to mind)
that will for the most attempt to run either Windows '95 or it's applications,
but they are by no means finished/stable yet...

You can however have a 'dual-boot' system that when you boot your machine will
give you the option of running FreeBSD, or Windows '95/98 or NT at startup
time - We use this here on a few machines, and it works fine...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz